Nothing more Aussie than good ol ANZAC biscuits but that involves rolling lots and lots of little balls until your eyes glaze over!
Well roll no more here we have the ANZAC slice, one big whopping slab of chewy crunchy Anzacness **okay I’m pushing it there** 😀
One fast way to getting those golden treats in your belly without delay…
NB: For those interested ANZAC was the name given to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps soldiers who landed on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey early on the morning of 25 April 1915 during the First World War (1914-1918).
- 2 cups Rolled Oats
- 2 cups Plain Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1.5 cups desiccated Coconut
- 2 teaspoons Bicarb of Soda
- 250g Nuttelex or Non Dairy Spread
- 4 tablespoons Golden Syrup (or Maple Syrup)
- 200g Vegan Dark Chocolate
- 2 tablespoons crushed Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 150c.
- Line a 20cm x 30cm deep tray with baking paper.
- Combine oats, flour, sugar, coconut & bicarb in a mixing bowl.
- Heat Nuttelex and golden syrup until melted and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Pour into tray and flatten evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Leave in tray to cool.
- Melt chocolate in bain-marie or microwave and spread across the surface of the ANZAC slice.
- Sprinkle with crushed walnuts.
- Slice when cool and enjoy!