A simple yet timeless country classic. A buttery slice filled with sweet stewed apples with a crunchy sugar coated crust. Served hot or cold it’s a winner!
Sugar Crusted Apple Slice
Recipe type: Baking
A buttery slice filled with sweet stewed apples with a crunchy sugar coated crust. Served hot or cold its a classic winner!
- 4 Apples, peeled & diced
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Water
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 cup Self raising Flour
- ½ cup Non-Dairy Butter
- ¾ cup Caster Sugar
- ¼ cup Apple Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- Extra sugar for coating.
- Oven on 180c.
- Place the peeled & diced apples in a saucepan with the water and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat with a lid, stir often.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes then remove from heat and cool.
- In a food processor place the flour, sugar and butter and pulse until crumbly.
- Add the apple sauce and baking powder and mix to a firm dough.
- Knead the dough briefly and place in the fridge to rest for a few minutes.
- Cut the dough into two and roll out. Place half into a greased lamington tray.
- Top with stewed apples.
- Top with remaining rolled out dough.
- Brush top with non-dairy milk and sprinkle sugar generously over the top.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- Slice and serve hot or cold. Enjoy!