This is a visually beautiful dessert with decadent layers of chocolate, cream cheese and with a last minute surprise of a coffee jelly shot!
My first time using Agar Agar which is a gelatin substitute that is extremely strong and is derived from asian seaweed.The name in Malay directly translates to “Jelly Jelly” so this recipe should really be called Coffee Jelly Jelly & Chocolate Trifle but that just sounds silly now doesn’t it?
- 1 cup strong Coffee
- 2 tblsp Sugar (added to coffee)
- ⅛ tsp Agar Agar (It is VERY strong)
- 227g Tofutti Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- 6 Arnotts Chocolate Ripple Biscuits
- Make the coffee and add the 2 tablespoons of sugar to it, stirring until combined. Place in a small saucepan with the Agar Agar and heat gently stirring continually for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before pouring into your glasses. Fill the glasses about ¼ full. Place in the fridge to cool.
- In a food processor, combine the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla essence. Chop up the biscuits until small pieces, keep some chunky pieces so do not turn them into crumbs.
- Now as long as the jelly has set/cooled you can start assembling the trifle. Put half the cream cheese mixture on top of the jelly then top with most of the chocolate biscuits (reserving some just for the top). Then top with the last layer of cream cheese and the remaining chopped biscuits. All done – Serve Chilled.
- Options: Use any vegan liquors to give an added extravagance to the dessert. Amaretto or Frangelico would compliment extremely well (if Vegan..I do not know yet). Add a drop to the coffee mixture. Adding crushed nuts to the biscuit mix would also be a great variation.